Low Graphics |  Accessibility |  Other Languages |  Site Map |  Help |  Text Size: A |  A+ |  A++

Travel information

Travelling by bus

Dr Gray's Hospital is situated in the west end of Elgin, at the end of the High Street. The main access to the hospital is located on the main A96 Aberdeen to Inverness road.  

For information about bus routes and times, please call Stagecoach / Bluebird Buses on (01224) 212266 Link opens in new windowwww.stagecoachbus.com/bluebird.

Travelling by car

If you are unsure of the best route to you can use the Automobile Association (AA) website at Link opens in new windowwww.theaa.com.  When using this website, please use the postcode IV30 1SN when describing the end of your journey.

Please visit the car parking page for detailed information

Back to top

Travel costs

If you receive Income Support, Working Tax Credit (with Child Tax Credit or with a disability element), Job Seeker's Allowance (income based) or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, you may be entitled to help with hospital travel costs. If you are named on an HC2 or HC3 certificate or complete an HC5 form, you may also be entitled to help with travel costs. You must bring details of your benefits and appointment card when you attend the hospital. Please keep any tickets and receipts as proof of your travel costs. Please note that reimbursement will only be at the cheapest public transport rate.

Reimbursement and queries are dealt with by:

Outpatients' reception desk, by the Main Entrance

Those receiving the above named benefits, travelling with children under 16 are entitled to claim expenses for one escort. If on medical grounds, your child needs two escorts you will receive reimbursement for both.

If you are not receiving these benefits and require help to pay your travelling expenses, a form HC1 can be obtained from the outpatients' reception desk. You should return the completed form in the pre-paid envelope provided.

Patients from the Highland Health Board area

Patients travelling from the Highland Health Board area are entitled to help with travel costs, minus a deduction of £10 per journey for those not in receipt of an eligible benefit - refer to this form for full details.  
Anyone wishing to submit a claim should complete this form and present it in person at the General Office, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, or send it by post to:
General Office
Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
AB25 2ZN
Alternatively send your completed form by e-mail to grampian.patienttravelari@nhs.net.

Back to top

Driving and medical fitness - reminder to patients

If you hold a driving licence, remember you are required by law to notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) as soon as you become aware that you are suffering from any condition which is, or which may become, likely to affect your ability to drive. If you are in any doubt about whether you should notify the DVLA, consult your doctor.

If you hold a paper licence or a photocard licence you should tell the Drivers' Medical Group, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1TU. You can also contact them on 0300 790 6806 or email eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Notifying the DVLA does not necessarily mean the licence will be withdrawn but simply that the Agency can review the situation.

Patients from Shetland

Please contact the Patient Travel Officer at NHS Shetland as soon as possible so that your travel arrangements can be organised in good time.

Write to:
Patient Travel Office
Gilbert Bain Hospital
Telephone: (01595) 743305

Patients from Orkney

The tickets are issued under the Highlands & Islands travel scheme and are booked through your GP. Please ask your GP for a travel pack which will contain all the information you will need.

Back to top