Vision Support Teachers are qualified teachers who are also trained to support children who are visually impaired. They will support you whatever the age of your child from birth to school leaving age.

If your child is very young a Vision Support teacher will visit you at home and offer advice about suitable play materials to provide early stimulation for your child.  They will let you know of the services you can access locally to help support your child.

Your Ophthalmologist or Paediatrician may refer your child to this service or you can contact your local service directly.


Vision Support Service

Newhills School

Wagley Parade



AB21 9UB

Tel: 01224 715648




Sensory Support Service

Westhill Academy

Hay's Way



AB32 6XZ

Tel: 01224 744786

Fax: 01224 743568



Sensory Education Services

Beechbrae Education Centre

Duffus Road


IV30 4NP

Tel: 01343 5500999



You may be concerned how your child's eye condition may affect their education.

You can discuss the  options available with your local Education Authority.


Other communication needs

If your child requires Braille this can be provided by:

  • Vision Support Services
  • Grampian Society for the Blind
  • Aberdeenshire Visual Impairment Team


As your child gets older moving on can be difficult for children and young people with additional support needs and will require careful planning.


Regulations state that the Education authority should begin transition planning;

  • at least 6 months before your child starts nursery
  • at least 12 months before your child starts primary, secondary school
  • at least 12 months before your child leaves school


At these key points in your child's life all those involved in supporting him/her will work together to plan the next steps. Advice and recommendations will be available within:

  • nurseries
  • schools
  • colleges
  • universities
  • places of work