Medicine Guidelines and Policies Group (MGPG)
The Medicine Guidelines and Policies Group (MGPG) oversees the development of Grampian wide policies, guidelines and protocols relating to medicines use. Whilst the group takes direction from the Grampian Medicines Management Group it is largely autonomous and generates its own work programme in conjunction with the Formulary Group. The role of the group is to ensure that the development and review of local medicines guidance has been undertaken appropriately and to provide support and direction for the implementation process. The MGPG will also review national guidelines/guidance and policies to identify local impact and ensure referral to the appropriate group(s). The majority of the work required to develop, implement or audit local guidelines, policies or protocols is undertaken by key individuals with specialist interests, short life working groups or individual departments.
Remit of the MGPG
- Oversee the development of Grampian wide policies, guidelines and protocols relating to medicines for individual therapeutic areas or clinical conditions to support local medicines usage
- Review national guidelines/guidance and policies e.g. Healthcare Improvement Scotland, SIGN and NICE to determine need for local policies
- Manage the development of Patient Group Directions in NHS Grampian and ensure compliance with legislation, national guidance and local policy
- Interface with governance and medicines risk management groups to ensure that adequate and appropriate protocols are developed and maintained to minimise risk and harm in medicines usage
- Appoint and oversee various working groups to develop and deliver local guidelines, protocols, patient group directions and to undertake audit and needs assessment as appropriate
- Interface with the relevant groups responsible for developing area wide policies relating to medicines usage and documentation
MGPG meets every six weeks.
Membership of the Medicine Guidelines and Policies Group
Chair - Dr Caroline Hind, Deputy Director of Pharmacy and Medicines Management
- GP representative - nominated by the GP Sub Committee
- Consultant representative - nominated by the Consultant Sub Committee of the AMC
- Secondary Care pharmacist
- Pharmacy and Medicines Directorate representative
- CHP Pharmacists - nominated by the CHP pharmacist group
- Clinical Governance - a nominee from the Clinical Governance Committee
- Nursing representative - nominated by the ANC
Formulary Manager to link with the Medicine Guidelines and Policies Group.
Nominated individuals, from the groups below, with open invite to attend meetings as they feel appropriate. Representatives will receive agendas and minutes and will be expected to communicate with the groups/bodies that they represent as well as the Medicine Guidelines and Policies group.
- Dental practitioners
- Community pharmacists (Chemist Contractors Committee)
- Public Health Consultant (with a special remit for pharmacy and medicines management)
Communication with the MGPG
All communications with the MGPG should be sent to:
The Secretary MGPG, Westholme, Woodend Hospital, Queens Road, Aberdeen. AB15 6LS.